For many people, the summer means cookouts, swimming, and having fun with those we are closest to. And while swimming can be a great way to cool off in the summer heat, it is important that we arekeeping an eye on all and any children tempted by the cool water, no matter how hectic and busy the parties may get.
Here are some tips provided by CPSC.gov to ensure your child's safety this summer!
Staying Close, Being Alert and Watching Children in and Around the Pool
- Always keep an eye on your children around any body of water, and never leave them unattended!
- Make sure your child is aware of basic water safety tips
- Keep small children away from pool drains, pipes, and other openings to avoid entrapment
- Make sure to keep a telephone close by whenever you are near a body of water
- If a child is missing, look for them in the water first
- Share safety instructions with family, friends, and neighbors, so everyone will be alert
Learning and Practicing Water Safety Skills
- Make sure both you and your child know how to swim if you will be in the water
- Learn how to perform CPR on children and adults, and update those skills regularly
- Understand the basicsof life-saving so that you can assist in any water emergency
Following these tips and being aware this summer will not only keep your child safe, but it will give you peace of mind, so you can enjoy the holiday to the fullest!